Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Pastries of Mass Destruction: the V-III

Van is three.  This is his red-eyed tree frog cake.  When I asked him what kind of cake he wanted, he said "I want a frog cake", so that's what he had.

I gave up the fondant for buttercream, which is not as pretty, but much yummier.  For birthday cake bakers, I'll tell you.  It's one stick of butter for every cup of confectioner's sugar, blend it together (easy going--speed kills) and flavor it with whatever you like.  With this recipe, you can tell Duncan Hines to go to hell.

The frogs are marzipan, and he ate every one.  The boy does love marzipan. 

2 comments:

My Boys' Teacher said...

Love it. Couldn't agree more on the frosting. Does anyone NOT love marzipan? You reminded me that it's been too long since I've eaten marzipan.

MB said...

I used this buttercream recipe for Marielle's birthday cake this year and it was my favorite yet.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/gale-gand/quick-vanilla-buttercream-frosting-recipe/index.html

Never had used one before that had whipping cream in it. So yummy.

Love the marzipan frogs!